Friday, October 28, 2011

Fix it up or just keep patching it

Five years ago, I bought a "house", using the term loosely.  It is a poorly built, worse maintained log cabin.  We were able to move in, and almost everything worked, but I knew then it was a fixer upper.  I'm doing what I can, including landscaping, adding a couple of outbuildings, shingles, interior things.  But there are other jobs that I don't have time, money or skill to deal with.  So now that I've pretty much decided to stay in the area for a while, I'm considering refinancing my loan, if I can at a lower interest rate, and getting enough to pay the pros to do some of the jobs right and quickly. 
What do I have to loose?  If I can get a lower rate, then my payments wouldn't go up much if at all.  Resale value would or should go up.  And it would be a lot more fun living here.  Who knows..it might be nice enough to actually invite people over once in a while...and they would show up...and not be in a hurry to leave. 
See a more thorough explanation at:  http://richardstidyman.net/FixItUp.aspx
Your opinions wanted. 


3 comments:

  1. Do it. It sounds like you have thought it through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "do" for me now is to get a contractor or two out here to show them what has to be done. If feasible, then apply for the loan, and if the stars are lined up and I hold my mouth just right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it could be a beautiful home. I would get the structural stuff done
    and prevent water damage first. It is an investment. Investing is wise. Protecting your investment is important. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete