Saturday, June 23, 2012

My run in with one from the greatest generation.

Maybe I do talk too much but yesterday, my belief that it never hurts to be friendly and greet others in a friendly way was affirmed.  I went into a doctor's office to pay the final installment of my surgery bill from the fall.  Closest to the receptionist window was a man sitting down, dressed with kacki shirt and pants, and a baseball type hat that said "WWII Veteran".  Despite being in his 80's, and sitting, I could tell he was trim and healthy looking. 

Finding the first couple of opening sentences is the hardest part to striking up a conversation, but if a person wants to talk, most anything will do.  After a little small talk, I said "Can I ask you a question?"  The implication is that it might be a little more personal than the small talk that preceded this.  "My dad was a WWII veteran.  I have a friend that is a WWII veteran.  I have friends who's father's were WWII veterans.  They all seem to say the same thing.  That is, WWII veterans don't talk much if at all about their experience in the war."  His response was "What's there to talk about?"  But then, he knew had an interested listener. 

Over the next thirty minutes, he shared with me little snippets of his 22 year career in the army and CIA.  He had lost friends, experienced the pride of helping win WWII and his amazement at the lack of support upon returning from Viet Nam. He admitted, he had to follow orders and do things he wasn't proud of.   He now spends lots of his time visiting other WWII veterans in nursing homes and rehab centers.  And funerals. 

I talked a little too about my dad, my friend the pilot, and my brothers that served during the Viet Nam era. 

Finally, his wife came out carrying a little oxygen tank.  Listening to his stories, and thinking of my own father and friend that served in WWII, this old man touch my heart.  I don't know why I get so emotional, and don't really need to know.  When it came time to shake hands to say goodbye, I was too emotional to talk.  Our goodbye consisted of his very kind eyes meeting mine, a firm hand shake and a nod.  He took his wife by the arm and carefully guided her to the door. As I thought about what his life might have been like,  I sent him a thought. Job well done.

1 comment:

  1. Telling and hearing stories is what makes us human. You gave and received a beautiful gift! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete