Friday, March 23, 2012

Luck is turning aroun

As you know, Hannah had a car wreck 9 days ago, and while she is feeling a lot better, the lack of a car has been an issue.  Fortunately for me, weather ahs been great all week, so I could ride my scooter to school, and just about everywhere else. I've just had to postpone hauling anything other than me and what fits in the storage box.
Last Friday, I had appointments  for late morning, and then one much later in the day about 5:00.  The 5:00 appt was for a '97 Ford Taurus with 130k miles with a very attractive sales price of $1800.  The late morning appt was for a '97 Chevy Malibu but it was for $2500.  I had the foresight to call the gentleman and cancel the late morning appt, explaining we wanted to look at a car that was more in line with out budget and didn't want to leave him wondering or waiting.  He appreciated it...actually he took note of the consideration I showed him.  We looked at and decided to buy the Taurus but there was an issue with the title needing to be sent back to Fl and was going to take awhile.  But it took a week of my phone calls and emails, not one of which was responded to by the owner of the Taurus.  I'm glad now we are NOT buying it.  So Thursday p.m, almost a full week after talking to the Malibu owner,  I call the owner of the Malibu, and no, he hadn't sold it yet but I could look at it on Friday after work.  I told him I was a shop teacher and could meet him after school.  Here is the irony.  Friday a.m., he is having breakfast with his daughter, and said he was going to show the car to me.  "You mean Mr. Tidyman?  Hannah's dad?" and went on to explain the whole details of Hannah's wreck, and life too maybe.  I taught his daughter in grade school, and her brother.  He showed the car to someone earlier in the day who offered him a good price, but he said he wanted to me to give me a chance to look at it first (returning the consideration)...and we are buying it on Saturday.  Not only does Hannah get a car, she also gets to bring her baby back home, safe and secure in the back seat of a mid size sedan.
It never hurts to spend a little extra time and effort to be considerate of those whom we do business with.  Sometimes, maybe even most of the time, what goes around, comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment