Friday, November 11, 2011

Hospital Stay

Ain't it great when things work as they should.  Below is my thank you letter to Watauga Hospital.


November 11, 2011
To the staff of the emergency room and 300 Hall,
I want to thank you for the wonderful care you provided me on Monday and Tuesday, November 7 and 8.  I arrived at the hospital around 1:00 to a non-scheduled CT scan and the kind people down there were able to fit me in.  It was a good thing to as my appendix was inflamed, I was in pain (and had been for three days) and who knows what would have happened if I had waited another day. In fact, the CT also discovered a small hernia and a gallbladder full of stones that at present don’t seem to be causing any problems, though it might explain my pre-coffee crankiness first thing in the a.m.
I believe Dr. Crumpler was the first to see me in the emergency room.  She was great.  And considerate.  All of you were, knocking first before entering a room.  I was the one that responded with an “Enter at your own risk!”  No one got scared away.  Andy, whose last name I forget started my IV and checked with me a few times, and we had a good conversation.  Small world too.  Turns out he and his wife contributed to my daughter’s baby shower just in the last month.  It is worth noting that Andy and his wife don’t know my daughter.  This was an event created by a group of kind people sharing love and resources.  It meant a lot to me to be able to thank him to his face.
As for the prep for the surgery, I couldn’t ask for anything smoother.  Scott Vandiver, the anesthesiologist made me feel safe and sure that I was in good hands.  Then there was this big guy, with a biker type bandana.  I wasn’t intimidated.  I wear one myself, and they are more functional than style, and not meant to intimidate (except for the ones that says things like, “if you look at me, I’ll kill you.”  We chatted about bikes, scooters, hogs, but ran out of time before getting to the fun stuff, like accidents, near misses, and top speed coming up Hwy. 421.
Before going into surgery, I facetiously told my siblings that if I didn’t make it, who would get the truck and the tools.  Maybe I was tempting fate but I feared not, thanks to the confidence imbued by the staff.  My sister was somewhat disappointed to receive the text message that I had in fact made it through, and she would have to wait for another life threatening crisis to get the truck.  I appreciate what Doc Edmisten was able to do for me, and the aftercare follow-up. 
The wonderful staff on the 300 hall made sure I was comfortable Monday night and Tuesday day.  And the food…OMG.  It was perfect for hospital food.  Bland for those that need something mild, plenty to fill you up, and hot to make you feel like a grandma might have cooked it. 
I came home Tuesday and am taking it easy, which is hard for me to do.  I’m pretty active.  I have lots of sedentary or low activity things to do but there’s nothing like cutting wood with a burly chainsaw on a crisp sunny fall day.  But that will come soon enough. 
Thank you for your kindness (and effectiveness) during my stay at Watauga Hospital.
With many thanks and high regard,  

Richard Tidyman

No comments:

Post a Comment