Saturday, June 16, 2012

Father's Day thoughts on the old man


As father day approaches, several things come to mind.  Obviously, we all have dads.  It is a universal experience of sort, yet one profoundly personal. My goal is to share a little bit of my story in hopes that it resonates with you and I hope I get the chance to hear some of your story.

Most of you know I have a daughter, and now I have a grandson. It is wondrous to watch the, isn’t it.  They are so curious.  And full of life, and energy.  At times, they are seemingly invincible.

They soak up knowledge and skills, thoughts, dreams, plans, and hopes to someday change the world.  I’m willing to bet you were like that as a kid.  I think I was.  I believe it is universal.  And logically, I must deduce that my father was like that to.
All of our fathers were born like that.
Have your beliefs about your father changed over time?  Mine have.  My daughter’s beliefs have changed about me.  I’m not nearly as big a jerk as I was when she was in 8th grade.  How I’ve changed!  I’ve grown up so much these last few years.
I think beliefs about dads can change.  Let’s say for example that we could gently bring our fathers back from time, when they were healthy, and when they were fulfilled that role of dad.  We could line them up and without them knowing it, rate them from poor to excellent. 

Where would your dad be in the line?  How well did he live up to your fantasy?  Was he a Ward Cleaver, or a Father Knows Best kind of dad, someone more like the character in “Oliver” known as Fagin -  A conniving career criminal that takes in homeless children and trains them to pick pockets for him.
One can philosophize about how we ended up in the family we did with the parents we had.  I used to resent it.  After all, my dad was pretty grumpy, seemed pretty miserable with his life.  Is your memory one filled with happy images. Maybe you were one of those that couldn’t wait to move out of the house to get away from him. 

My siblings tell stories of a strong man that parachuted into Normandy and saw the war’s end.

He came home to work and raised a family. He loved his kids deeply.  He had a passion for music.  He lived his earlier years with gusto, playing piano, trumpet and even singing in the choir at St. John’s Cathedral in downtown Cleveland. 
 Despite his passion for music, his sense of responsibility was greater. 

He was a police reporter for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, not one of the beats where you witnessed lots of life affirming beauty day after day.  On weekends, when he wasn’t gardening, he played tennis, or racquet ball with passion. 
    

And speaking of passion, he with his young bride, named Marie, and a devout Catholic, had seven kids to feed by the time he was 30 years of age.  My mom told me that the first ten years of their marriage was one continuous honeymoon.  
I was the baby of those seven kids.  I had a few good years with my dad early on but without going into detail, things went south for him when I was in grade school. 
 He battled with demons of depression, alcoholism and consequences of smoking two packs of cigarettes a day.  His health declined and was in and out of the hospital a lot for the last couple of years.  Maybe so it would be easy to remember, he died on ground hog’s day, never to see his shadow again.  He was 47.  I was 16.  My mother and my siblings breathed a sigh of relief that his misery was over, and we could get on with our lives.
Twenty years later, we decided to have a memorial service for him.  It took twenty years for all of my siblings and my mom to heal, to forget, and to forgive.  During that time, three brothers became sober.  We all got counseling.  We had grown enough, that upon looking back, we could see, and appreciate a different father. 



Despite not being very close to my dad, I choose to think of him in this light.  He, like all of us, came into the world full of vim and vigor, and strived to reach his potential: creative, physical, and emotional.  Along the way, he took his share of hits.  Maybe the horrors of war haunted him, for he never spoke of it.
Maybe his overriding sense of responsibility to his family left little room to explore his passion for writing and musical.  Maybe the lack of resources deprived him of treatment for his emotional ills and addictive personality. 

I am convinced I could not do any better if I had been in his shoes.

This father’s day, I’m thankful to him. I’ve gotten more gentle in my criticism.  He provided good European DNA, perfect for manual labor and endurance sports. He made lots of good choices, like marrying my mom.  He provided for his family.  I’m a lot like him I think.  I love to garden, shoot pool, and play racquet ball.  I even like writing. Maybe someday I’ll learn to sing and play an instrument.  In reality, he was just what I needed to launch me into the life I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment